Pages

Monday 17 March 2014

TREE FOLLOWING BY MAIL

Not everyone has a blog so I offered to make space for those who are following trees and would like to share their findings with other Loose and Leafy Tree Followers but who don't have practical means for doing so.

'Tree Watcher', who lives in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, which shares a border with British Columbia (Canada) has sent pictures of the tree she is following. At first she didn't know what kind of tree it is but, after some research has decided it is a magnolia.

It's taken me a little while to work out how to present them to you. Initially, I had intended to put one picture and a paragraph within a Loose and Leafy post. But, on reflection, I realised there were a couple of problems with this. One, that one picture might not be enough when getting to know a tree in detail. The other that if I uploaded them onto the blog in the usual way they would appear in my own picture album - as if I had taken them myself - which would be confusing.

So . . . I've set up a parallel blog called 'Other People's People's Pictures'. This is it.

And here are Tree Watcher's pictures and text. Unfortunately, there wasn't time to catch the March Link Box but they are important to post so the context is set for Tree Watcher's next Tree Following here.

The Tree - March 2014

I did a little online research and I believe the tree might be a Magnolia, not sure which one. The leaves don't look like a true tulip tree. The tree has been here a long time and it blooms before the leaves come on, I think. Lots of pink, tulip-like flowers. It has lichen and moss on it. Right now it has large buds as you will see in the pictures. This is in just north of Seattle, WA, close to the Puget Sound. We have long, rainy seasons with gray skies, a little snow at times. It is beautiful when the sun does come out, though.


Buds - March 2014


Lichen and Moss on Branches
Older Moss - March 2014


Leaves from last year (2013) on the ground - March 2014



1 comment: